Saturday, April 18, 2009

StarGazing and SpiderWebs


My Stitched in Space 'gaze' portraits at Hardware Gallery.


A close-up of Clare, Jess and Rachel.

We had the artist talks at Hardware Gallery today from 3-5, and I met some really interesting artists. We talked about our practices and it was fascinating how everyone approaches art, from their methodology, to their techniques, to their thoughts; to end up with a final product-an artwork. And whilst doing my research on other artists, I have begun questioning everything-why they chose that material over another, what it symbolises to them, why they placed it there, why that colour, why that orientation, why this, why that. And due to my current project being driven conceptually, I find that this questioning of every finite detail is being echoed in my work. Everything has meaning and to neglect this truth is like neglecting an artwork.

I have several works that I have spent days and nights sketching out and thinking over, such as a door-mat of felted hair, placed outside the space, that people must walk on in order to enter the space. I started felting this week-also a lot of fun, but it requires a lot of hair and I need more of it!

In the midst of all of this, a very talented artist friend of mine has been webbing his mark out the front of my house. This spider has been making spider webs just under a meter in diameter, on my path between my door and gate. It's actually been rather wonderful. My family has been bending right down to avoid breaking the web and in so doing cover themselves with the sticky fibres. We have gone a few days without touching it, however as I have been observing, if the web is torn down, it is up again by the next day, in another fabulous formation. Thus after having destroyed it today, I expect to see another one tomorrow. It's a reminder that these creatures exist, that we humans aren't the only ones here!



My talented spider's creation. There's a lot for me to learn about his intricate technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment